The best home automation hub is one that offers a good ratio of quality/price and can easily interconnect the hundreds of home devices out there.
Indeed, you need a reliable home automation technology that adds remote control and automation capability to lighting, appliances, all kind of applications allowing you to manage your home as you see fit to your lifestyle.
In my opinion the Samsung Smartthings Hub is such a device that can make your life more convenient by offering flexibility in managing your home devices.
Allow me to elaborate more on why I believe the SmartThings is the best home automation product.
Overview of the Samsung SmartThings
This hub in its second generation form allows you to create a safer, smarter home by connecting to more than 200 devices. All you need is the hub itself and the application that comes with it. Once setup, you can add products and literally control them while away from your home (or from another room within your house for that matter).
Basically you need:
– The free smartthings application. It lets you get notifications about events in your house. You can control things from each room and run your entire home from your mobile phone.
– The Hub itself which sends your commands from the application to your connected devices. You also get important notifications on your smartphone.
– Things or your connected devices. These include a wide range of sensors and devices allowing you to create a smart home that fits your lifestyle.
The Hub is a little box that measures 4.2 x 4.9 x 1.3 inches. It also has 2 USB 2.o Ports and 1 Ethernet Port.
The Smartthings acts as the central hub of your automation system and can remote control things such as your lights, moisture, locks, cars, cameras, temperature and so forth.
It’s an electronic brain that connects wirelessly all the different sensors around your home. It comes with an Ethernet cable to connect to your internet router. It’s so powerful that it supports most popular protocol such as ZigBee, Z-Wave, Bluetooth radio, IP accessible devices hence providing customers with a wide range of supported devices.
The hub also comes with internal batteries allowing it to operate in the event of a power outage.
You can watch the unboxing of the Samsung SmartThings below:
What I like about the Samsung SmartThings:
- Controls a large number of compatible smart devices (more than 200)
- Easy to install
- The free application combined with the hub lets you monitor, control, and secure your home remotely
- Works with Amazon Echo
What I don’t like about the Samsung hub
- At times pairing it with other devices does not work great
- Can be fuzzy with some light sensors such as the Z wave
If you are not shy about using their scripting interface, the Samsung Smartthings is a good choice owing to the price ($99) and the large number of devices it can control.