The best z wave controller in my opinion is the Samsung SmartThings 2nd generation .
As you may already know, any home automation and control system includes three basics parts:
- A protocol e.g the common language used by all the connected devices in your home network
- A wiring or wireless infrastructure to carry signals to each automated device in your network
- A controller device that tells each equipment what to do.
What is a Z wave controller?
Z-Wave is a leading wireless home control technology with more than 1700 certified products across the globe. It’s a key enabler of smart home solutions mostly for safety and security.
This technology enables smart devices like locks, lights and thermostats to talk to each other. It lays the foundation for your automated home and allows you to use your smartphone or tablet to perform daily tasks to save energy, secure your home and be more comfortable.
You can read more about z-wave here.
A Z wave controller or smart hub is the brain of your home automation system, connecting all you smart devices together.
How do you get started?
Step 1: you need a controller. You can pick one from here or continue reading for our top 3 z wave hub reviews.
Step 2: pick the smart devices you would like to control in your network. You can shop by device types (door lock, lights, sensors etc…) or by rooms (living room, main bedroom, garage etc…)
Whatever your goal, being it saving money on energy or securing your home, the z wave controller will help you achieve it.
Here is my rundown of the top 3 z wave controllers
Samsung SmartThings Hub, 2nd Generation
I have already provided a detailed review of this device here.
As mentioned in the beginning on this article, the Samsung SmartThings is my top choice for z wave controllers. It’s really the easiest way to automate you home. It connects wirelessly with a wide range of smart devices and gives you true freedom to automate your home.
You can log into one account on multiple devices and it’s integrate with Amazon Echo.
Wink Hub 2
The Wink Hub 2 is my number two pick of smart controllers. It’s the second generation of its kind, faster, more reliable and more secure than the first generation.
- Easy migration from 1st generation Hub. No re-pairing required
- Can automatically pair new devices
- Nice, sleek design
- Wired to router hence avoid wifi connectivity issues
- Very good quality/price ratio
- Integrates with Alexa
- Easy setup
- not google chrome compatible
- No Bluetooth
- Not too many sensors compared to Samsung SmartThings
- No backup battery
VeraPlus Smart Home Controller Hub
My last pick for best z wave controller is the VeraPlus Smart Home Hub. It allows you to create custom solutions for your lifestyle. You can use its easy and affordable application to control your smart house from anywhere in the world with peace of mind.
- Easy setup
- Easily connects and responds to signals from smart devices
- Backup battery (optional)
- One dashboard application combining all devices into one control panel
- Compatible with 1500+ devices
- Poor user graphical interface. Slow and buggy at times
- Documentation needs improvement
- Does not integrate with alexa
- Cannot be connected to your existing router/wi-fi network (runs as server)